• Audition is scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday May 30th and 31st, 2023 (Preliminary Round) and Thursday, June 1st, 2023 (Semi/Finals)
• *Note* - Audition is being held for 3 days, but with prescreening, will likely be condensed into 2 days.
How to Apply:
• Highly qualified applicants should e-mail a one-page résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Attach your résumé as a PDF labeled with your First and Last Names.
• Based on résumé screening, candidates may be asked to send an audio recording for pre-screening
• No phone calls please.
Our current Agreement includes: 80 full time musicians, a 38-week Winter Season, (which includes 2 paid vacation weeks and 2 injury relief weeks), a 5-week Summer Season, a weekly base salary of $1,313.80, a pension plan, health insurance plan, sick leave, instrument insurance (up to $40,000 paid), personal leave, individual relief services, disability plan and a cafeteria-style benefits package. The current Agreement goes through the 2022-2023 Season. Negotiations are underway for a new agreement.
ASSISTANT CONDUCTOR and MUSIC DIRECTOR OF DYAO Colorado Symphony Association |
Job Description Title: Assistant Conductor and Music Director of DYAO (Denver Young Artists Orchestra)
Reports to: Artistic General Manager and DYAO Executive Director
Classification: Full-Time, Salaried Position Profile The Assistant Conductor is an integral part of the artistic team of the Colorado Symphony Association ( This position conducts concerts and rehearsals of the Colorado Symphony as assigned by the artistic staff and Principal Conductor as well as acts as a cover conductor for selected rehearsals and concerts to prepare for unexpected conducting duties.
In addition to the work for the CSA, this position will also act as the Music Director of the Denver Young Artists Orchestra ( advancing the mission and goals of the youth orchestra, and will conduct all scheduled rehearsals and performances as assigned by Executive Director of DYAO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Colorado Symphony Association Conduct rehearsals and concerts as assigned.
Typical concerts may include (but are not limited to): community concerts, specials, films, pops, holiday, family, and education.
Act as cover conductor for assigned weeks, assisting the Principal Conductor and guest conductors at rehearsals and concerts. This may include conducting offstage ensembles, checking balances, working with the library, running surtitles, and other duties a s assigned.
In collaboration with Artistic and Education department, program develop and conduct the youth concerts for each season Assistant in the preparation and development of programs by providing information regarding music rentals extra musicians, rehearsal orders, with careful attention to deadlines.
Prepare and host pre concert lectures ( and host post concert Talk Backs as assigned.
Participate in planning meetings, media events, fundraising activities speaking engagements, educational and outreach opportunities, development meetings and activities, board meetings, administrative meetings and any other activities as assigned.
Denver Young Artists Orchestra Conduct all scheduled rehearsals and performances as assigned by Executive Director. (Rehearsals occur on most Saturday mornings between August and May).
Select well rounded repertoire that challenges the musicians but does not exceed their abilities, meets the organization’s musical training objectives, and provides high quality performances.
Manage matters relating to selection of orchestra musician, seating, soloists, repertoire and musical interpretation
Communicate regularly with the Orchestra Manager and/or Executive Director on matters of planning, scheduling, logistics, and personnel.
Attend and report on matters pertaining to the orchestra at Board meetings Support the Board of Directors in matters of fundraising, development, and publicity.
Collaborate with Orchestra Manager and/or Executive Director to develop a detailed rehearsal and coaching schedule.
Consult with Training Orchestra Conductor(s) on music selection and attend rehearsals when possible.
Attend and judge spring orchestra auditions and aid to recruit students as necessary so DYAO remains Colorado’s most advanced youth orchestra.
Qualifications and Capabilities Required
• Considerable podium experience with major/regional orchestras. Proficient at conducting and rehearsing professional and young musicians.
• An extensive knowledge of orchestral repertoire and strong organizational skills which lend themselves to efficient rehearsal techniques.
• A related degree in music.
• Ability to read music at a very high level.
• Appreciation for all genres of music and a proven track record of working with a variety of different artists.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Eloquent and comfortable speaking to large groups of people.
• Strong leadership qualities.
• Experience working in high stress/pressure environments while maintaining a cool/calm demeanor.
• Must be eligible to work in the United States, pass a background check, and will establish primary residency in in Denver, Colorado. Preferred
• 2+ years of experience working as a conductor with a professional organization.
• Experience working in an educational environment or with youth ensembles.
The duties listed above should not be considered all-inclusive.
The person in this position is expected to perform other work-related duties as assigned, even though they may not be considered primary duties
Compensation and Benefits
• Salary range $50,000 - $60,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• The CSA offers a competitive salary and provides excellent benefits to all full-time employees including:
o Health insurance – three options to choose from (PPO Base (100% employer paid for employee), Buyup, or High Deductible); all at low cost to the employee;
o Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life/Accidental/Critical Illness, and Long-Term Disability Insurance;
o Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance, 100% Employer paid;
o Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Accounts, including Medical and Dependent Care, Employee Assistance Program, and Personal Loan Program;
o Paid time off - vacation, sick leave, National holidays, and 2-floating holidays;
o A 403(b) plan;
o Discounted tickets to CSA concerts;
o Work from home flexibility.
How to Apply Submit Submit a cover letter, resume, link(s) to conducting video clip(s) not exceeding 15 minutes in total, a 11-minute video introducing yourself, and the contact details for two references to: email@example.com.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, March 15, 2023
Selected applicants must be able to attend a live audition on Monday, April 17 and Tuesday, April 18, 2023. Please put Assistant Conductor in the subject line of your e-mail.
No phone calls please.
The Colorado Symphony Association an Equal Opportunity Employer.